10.3 – Other Licensing Information

  • License may be Refused

The DMV will take the strongest action possible against anyone who alters or otherwise attempts to falsify a driver’s license. (See Lesson 9.1 for List of Reasons for License Refusal)

Conditional License

The DMV may place special conditions or restrictions on your license.

  • If you cannot pass the eye test without glasses or corrective lenses, you will have to wear them while driving, and this will be indicated on your license.
  • If you cannot see well enough at night, you may have a condition shown on your license that states that you may drive during daylight hours only.
  • Many other conditions are possible and not limited to:
    • Restricted to driving with an additional right side mirror
    • Restricted to driving from sunrise to sunset.
    • Restricted to driving vehicles with hand-controlled brakes.

Lost or Damaged License

  • If your driver’s license is lost or damaged, you must go to a DMV office and pay the required fee for a duplicate. You must also verbally verify your address or present an acceptable birth verification/legal presence document, utility bill, rent or mortgage coupon or personal check printed with your name and address.
  • If you are a minor, your parents must sign the DMV application form (DL 44). You will be required to give a thumbprint and have a new picture taken. Once a duplicate license has been issued, the previous license is no longer valid. Destroy it if you find it later.

Name Change

  • When you legally change your name because of marriage or other reasons, be sure to change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA) before coming into the DMV.
  • Bring your driver license to the DMV in person, along with your marriage certificate or other acceptable verification of your “true full name”
  • You must complete the Driver License or Identification Card Application (DL 44) form and pay the applicable fee.
  • The DMV will electronically verify your name, birth date and social security number (SSN) with the SSA.
  • A new picture, fingerprint, and signature will be taken. Your old photo DL/ID card will be invalidated and.

Address Changes

  • If you are a minor, your parents must sign the DMV application form (DL 44). You will be required to give a thumbprint and have a new picture taken. There is no fee to change your address. You may notify the DMV of your address change for your driver license, identification card and vehicle(s) online at www. dmv.ca.gov. You may also download a Change of Address (DMV 14) form and mail it to the address on the form, or call the DMV at 1-800-777-0133 and request a DMV 14 form be mailed to you.
  • A new driver license is not issued when you change your address. A space is provided on the back of your driver license or identification card to record your new address.
  • You may also type or write your new address on a small piece of paper, sign and date the paper and carry it (do not use tape or staples) with your driver license or identification card.
  • If you change your address at a field office, the DMV representative will give you a Change of Address Certificate (DL 43) to complete and carry with your driver license.

Note: The U.S. Postal Service forwards some DMV correspondence; however, it is your responsibility to ensure the DMV has your correct mailing address on record.

Driver License Renewals

The DMV sends a renewal notice to your address of record about two months before your driver license expires. Follow the instructions on the renewal notice. If you do not receive a renewal notice, go online or call to make an appointment to renew your driver license.

  • Qualified drivers may be eligible to renew their driver license online at the DMV’s website atwww.dmv.ca.gov or by mail.
  • The DMV issues a driver license for five years.
    • The license expires on your birthday in the year shown on the driver license. It is against the law to drive with an expired driver license.
  • A driving test may be required as part of any driver license transaction. Driving tests are not required simply because of age.
  • If the DMV cannot confirm your identity, you will not be issued a temporary driver license.

Renewal by Mail, Internet or Telephone

If you have not received two consecutive five-year driver license extensions, you may be eligible to renew by mail, Internet or telephone without taking a law test, if:

  • Your current driver license expires before age 70.
  • You do not have a probationary driver license (CVC §14250).
  • You have not violated a written promise to appear in court or to pay a fine within the last two years.
  • You are not suspended for driving with an illegal Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) level, or refusing or failing to complete a chemical or preliminary alcohol-screening test within the last two years.
  • You do not have a total violation point count greater than one point.
If you renew by telephone, you must have the Renewal Identification Number (RIN) available when you call. This can be found on your renewal notice.
You must always have your driver license with you when you drive.
Show it to any police officer that asks to see it. If you are in a collision, you must show it to the other driver(s) involved.

Driver License Extension

If you are away from California (up to one year), you may request a free one-year extension before your driver license expires. Mail your request to DMV, PO Box 942890, Sacramento, CA 94290-0001. Make sure to include your name, driver license number, birth date, California residence address and out-of-state address. Limited term drivers are not eligible for this extension.

Driving with a Suspended or Revoked License

You can be fined and jailed if you drive with a suspended or revoked license. When the Department of Motor Vehicles tells you that your license has been suspended or revoked, the court is notified and expects that you know about the suspension or revocation.

Unlicensed Drivers

  • It is against the law to loan your vehicle to a person who is unlicensed or whose driving privilege has been suspended. If an unlicensed person is caught driving your vehicle, it may be impounded for 30 days (CVC §14607.6).
  • No person of any age may drive on a highway or in a public parking facility unless he or she has a valid driver license or permit.
  • The law also states that you must not employ, permit or authorize any person to drive your vehicle on a public street or highway, unless he or she is licensed to drive that class of vehicle.
  • A person must be at least 21 years old to drive most commercial vehicles for hire in interstate commerce and to transport hazardous materials or wastes.

Related Courses